Thursday, May 25, 2006

Incoming

I was walking towards work this evening after dinner, listening to the sounds of a firefight outside the east wall. This one was a bit closer than those I’d heard before, but still not too close. It’s not that uncommon to hear firing, and often it’s just a wedding or some other celebration, so I didn’t think too much of it.

I couldn’t hear any Americans firing. Then all at once you hear a roar as we opened up, just like on the range, Pop pop pop, BAM! Pop pop. BAM!! Then the humvees of the base QRT (Quick Reaction Team) shot past, spreading dust everywhere. Another humvee pulled up next to me & the driver said “Get in, Major! Rounds are impacting over here!!” And although I didn’t see anything, from the sound of it all this was entirely possible. So I got in for a quick ride to the palace where we almost screeched to a halt, jumped out and ducked behind the sandbags barricading the front door. In a minute we were ushered inside by the guard.

As the palace is probable the safest place on the base, no one was allowed out until the shooting died down, which was about 15 minutes later. I heard afterwards that one American had been slightly wounded, but it turns out there were actually three soldiers wounded, including a female from my building who was cut by flying glass. And so that was my big adventure – and I didn’t see a thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need those adventures. Keep your head down and stay safe.

May 29, 2006 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home