Thursday, June 15, 2006

Someone got hurt today

I was up near the log base north of BIAP this afternoon. It was a nice change of pace, and I was enjoying the trip while listening to the BBC on the radio. In fact everything was going fine until I noticed the smoke - the log base had apparently been hit hard sometime earlier. Despite the wind, a greasy grey smoke seemed to hover all around as we got closer… finally we came to a check point where the MPs turned us around. When I asked what had happened, they said that couldn’t say - but I could see smoke roiling up from a building and two other locations, even though I couldn’t tell what else was burning.

On the way back I got stuck behind a convoy of flatbeds carrying brand new Humvees. Fodder for the fight. The tractor trailers have to go very slowly due to the condition of the roads, so it took a long time. I kept glancing back, but the smoke just kept billowing.

2 Comments:

Blogger KAB said...

Did you ever find out what happened here or in the road with the humvee gunshield and door?

June 15, 2006 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, when you're this close you actually seem to know less. Too many trees for the forest, you know. I get more of my news from CNN or the Stars and Stripes newspaper (which I read every day). Or sometimes you end up talking to someone a couple of weeks later who was involved.

I don't know what happened to the humvee on the road, but the turrent was gone & the door pushed into the weeds at the side of the road when I drove past yesterday. It could have been a traffic accident, for all I know.

June 16, 2006 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home