Friday, August 25, 2006

Perfume palace



We have three palaces on Slayer. The compound that most of camp occupies was called the Abu Ghraib Presidential Compound, but I am not sure of the original name for the palace that I work in. It was a combination meeting center and resort, so far as I can tell. There was a full size (30,000 gallon) indoor pool on the first floor, which we decked over & now use as office space. The pool itself is our basement, and is used for storage. The Americans have dubbed this place with the rather unmilitary moniker of “Perfume Palace.” Also on the compound are the former (bombed out) Iraqi Baath Party Headquarters and convention hall, a number of smaller offices, and some barracks and residences.

I work on the first floor and walk along this canal every day to get to work.

3 Comments:

Blogger sparrow said...

I would really like to know where the name came from: "Perfume Palace". I can speculate, but will devote time to researching it next week.

Thank you (Mark) for staying in touch and thank you (Kraig) for keeping us in the "loop".

This blog, complete with photos would make a wonderful "coffee table" book one day.

I'm a "book-person" - cannot have too many, so my mind just wraps around that idea.

Mark, I won't say, "stay safe"... I know you are doing what you can to "be safe" - just know I carry all of you in the 'palm of my hand' (that one inside my heart)every second of every day.

My daddy is down from the reservation - haven't seen him in ages... he is a Veteran and I am teaching him about the internet. I will send him home Monday with the addy to this site.

GOD/DESS SPEED.

Pixie
OUT.

August 26, 2006 9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the name "Perfume Palace" comes from the fact that it was used for official parties and other liaisons before the war.

August 27, 2006 12:02 PM  
Blogger AOS Products said...

Thanks for this superb post, we work with pure essential oils, Carrier oils, Aromatherapy oils, most uses for medicine and perfumery products.

September 20, 2016 5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home