Saturday, August 12, 2006

Stone Soup

In light of Kraig’s inexplicably disparaging comment concerning chicken, tomato & cheese omelets, I thought he especially would appreciate the following.

It was about 2:00 am one night not too long ago when I awoke with the munchies. There are no 24-hour Taco Bells within driving distance (although I hear there is one in Mosul), so I decided to make do with the ingredients at hand. A quick inventory determined that the sum total of those ingredients included one can of anchovies (which I think Lisanne stuck into my bag before I left as a joke), one packet of Gatorade powder, one packet of powdered Ichiban soup base (type unknown), one small can of green beans, four peanuts in their shells, and half a canteen of water.

Well this was a promising start. I mixed the soup base with the water, but it didn’t want to dissolve all of the way. So I switched the air conditioner to high heat and tired to heat it up, but this started to heat up the entire room so I switched it back to AC and ended up just stirring the soup for about ten minutes until the powder chucks finally dissolved. Actually, even at this nascent stage it tasted much better than I thought it would. I added a couple of beans so the soup wouldn’t look so thin, but I thought it still needed something. As I looked around my eyes spotted something… the anchovies! The whole tin went in, followed by all four peanuts, suitably crushed.

That hit the spot. By 2:30 I was satiated, and I still had the Gatorade left over for tomorrow!

2 Comments:

Blogger KAB said...

I think the gateraid should have gone in the soup, then you could have had a nice trip to the hospital. I am almost gagging just thinking about it. I guess there are lots of things worse than chicken, cheese and tomato omelets (and most of them were in your soup)

August 12, 2006 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disgusting! Hey, when you get back you can go on Fear Factor or Survivor!

August 12, 2006 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home