Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Present from Anais

I found it very touching when Anais wrote that whenever she and he friends go to the mall she is inexplicably drawn to the decidedly un-cool Sears entrance. This is where I always go in because it takes you through the oh-so-enticing SEARS TOOL SECTION (come on now, is there really any other reason to go to the mall?).

She also wrote that shopping is hard when you’re broke, and that “Mom isn’t quite as willing to share as you are,” which I found humorous and sad at the same time. How many times do I remember going to Abercrombie or American Eagle just to buy this or that, but then of course you need something to go with it, and, well, wouldn’t that belt just make the entire outfit, Dad? Oh Neecy, I promise we’ll go shopping when I get back and I’ll buy you a great outfit, and then maybe we’ll all go to play laser tag or out to eat. There are so many things I want to do with you before you grow up completely and get married and move away.

She also sent me a beautiful rose she’d made out of clay with sparkles mixed in. It was wrapped very carefully so that it would survive the trip and it arrived in perfect shape. I have it on my desk now, next to the ceramic fairy (?) that Jack sent to “protect me.” But what my children (my smart, sweet, wonderful children) don’t realize is that they are my present – the drawings and fairies and roses are merely artifacts that remind me that I already possess the most valuable thing in the world – their love.

I wonder if Lisanne realizes how many times a day and how many different places I stop and silently thank her for giving to me the greatest gift of all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major, Major--

Our three wonderful sons finally know how much their parents love them and it only took for them to have their own children. There is nothing we wouldn't do for our kids,(except maybe babysit all night Friday night).
Mark, what a wonderful commentary about your family and how much you love them.

Love,

Yo Yo

August 08, 2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

That was painfully beautiful. Please stay safe.

August 08, 2006 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are certainly right about that, Mom.

Now how about that early inheritence dispersment??

August 09, 2006 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home