Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Sometimes the war seems so far away

It hasn’t seemed that way recently.

Although this is a combat zone, most of the time our relationship with danger seems distant, like an out-of-state cousin who you only see at Christmas time. Oh, there are the reminders, the pictures on the fridge, perhaps the occasional telephone call or letter, but over-all it’s out of sight…. well, you know.

Then suddenly it’s December and your Dad’s brother’s family are here for their annual visit. There’s ol’ cousin what’s his name, a little taller, maybe a little more filled out. And just like cousin what’s his name, danger came to visit Slayer recently. Yesterday after lunch a pressure plate-type IED was found inside the wall just past Commo hill - near the Razorback area, actually. Luckily, it was discovered and disarmed before it could do any damage.

Coincidentally, a soldier from the 149th was hurt is a separate incident last night. He was apparently in the wrong place at the wrong time and caught a round the stomach - unfortunately, he wasn’t wearing body armor. It could have been a stray round, or even a lucky shot by a sniper, but this morning Dan and I were walking and found four spent AK-47 cartridge cases not too far from where it happened. And although we’ll probably never know who pulled the trigger, I promise that from now on I’ll be even more careful, that I’ll watch out for my buddies, and stay alert, and watch the roadsides - even on base, so we can all go home. I don’t know what more I can do, but I do know that I’m coming home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Please let me know when I am not supposed to worry so much about you being over there "spreading democracy."

Lisanne

November 29, 2006 4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LA: Ditto that.

November 29, 2006 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home