Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My replacement is here. He's sleeping.

I remember how clueless I was. Overwhelmed really, but I didn't even realize by how much. Running outside and the shooting started and ran into that guy and we knocked each other down? That seems like such a "new-guy" thin to do, now.

There was so much to learn, and so many expectations. I was scared when my predessessor left; scared I'd let people down. Now I am the vet heading out, watching the fresh faces of the replacements as they arrive. Another Oliver Stone movie.

One of my guys gave me a compliment, I think. He said that I am a very unusual officer - all of the bearing of an officer, yet the heart of an enlisted man.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a great compliment and don't forget, the words of a poet. What kind of a soldier does that make?? the very best kind , I suspect!!

Yo Yo

May 03, 2007 11:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is no doubt about it- that was a compliment, and a mighty fine one too. I am often told that I have the hardened heart of a veteran teacher and the mind of a child. Hey, wait a second...

May 04, 2007 6:36 AM  
Blogger Anais said...

that's one of the best complements you can receive.

May 06, 2007 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home