Thursday, November 09, 2006

Happy holidays

I am worried about Christmas. I was really looking forward to a four-day pass, and after that, I was really, really looking forward to Christmas at home. Things just fell into place, as if whatever else happened, I’d at least have Christmas at home. Well, now that my leave has been delayed, I have neither.

Christmas is my favorite season, in spite of all of the religious connotations. I love the lights, and the trees, and the decorations. I love the last day of work, where everyone just sort of goes through the motions before making the rounds to wish their friends a merry Christmas and leaving early. I love the get-togethers and the sense of anticipation, and the specials on TV, and watching It’s a Wonderful Life and The Santa Clause with Lisanne and the kids.

When I was young I remember almost feeling like I would burst if Christmas didn’t hurry up and come. I was literally on the verge of being ill for the entire two weeks before Christmas Eve, but in a good way, because you know everything will be alright in the end. I’d stare out of my bedroom window at night and watch all the colors from the Christmas lights dad had tacked up reflecting off of the snow. Even Detroit was pretty under a fresh blanket of snow.

Every year there seemed to be a party at our house, full of cigarettes and wine and mixed nuts. And after bed time we’d sneak half way down the stairs and listen to the grown ups laugh. We had a silver tree that sparkled red, and green and blue when the lights were on. I adored that tree. And even when times were hard, Mom and Dad never let us know - Santa always brought his presents. In addition to loving my parents for all of the other reasons that I do, I love them especially for that.

Now I have my own family, and Christmas means so much more than it ever did before. The anticipation is still there, but it is as much to see my own loved ones surprised and happy, as it is in expectation of receiving gifts myself. I always wondered if we’d ever have our own holiday traditions, and now we do. Every year before we frock the tree we have to watch the Anais’ sleigh ride video. Then Jack and I will separate and test the lights, before inevitably jumping into the car for a quick trip to pick up some more. Lisanne and Neecy decorate the tree, because they think they are better at it than the guys. And, because it’s Christmas, we let them think that.

Maybe I will hang some Christmas lights in the office, if someone will send me some (240 volt). But not in the hootch – that would be too depressing. Alone. I think that I will work out that day. Maybe twice.


[Mark doesn't say, but he gave his Xmas leave to another soldier. Both of them couldn't be absent at the same time during the Holidays, so Mark offered it to her. -KAB]

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Package in the mail tomorrow by noon.

November 09, 2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments about christmas in Detroit. You forgot to mention you laying by the heat register before school in your p.j.s, warming up and just staring at the lights on the christmas tree.


I had forgotten about Neecy's sleigh video. She just sits there and rocks back and forth for the whole time. We also love it.

The cookies will leave this building on Saturday. I hope they are good.

Yo Yo

November 09, 2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Neecy and I ARE better at stringing the lights on the tree. What's that "frocking" thing you were talking about??? Do you mean "fricking"? As in..."these fricking lights aren't working"? Don't forget Santa's shoeprint on the hearth, the donut holes for the Santa's reindeer, cats climbing up the tree and pulling down the ornaments and occasionally having to pull errant tinsel from the cat's ass. Lovely!!

November 09, 2006 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO @ LA!!! Yes, the tinsel hanging from the cat's ass is universal. OMG... *snort, giggle, snort*... I gag at the memory.

November 10, 2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I, personally, have never seen tinsel in a cat's ass. But I don't look for it either. I think that's an urban myth.

Anyway, we don't have cats here, so the tinsel on my little tree will be safe.

November 14, 2006 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home