Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Snapshots

Things in my front left pocket right now: 1 quarter, 3 pennies, a laundry receipt, three dollar bills, a 100 dinar bill, the combination to the server room lock upstairs, a miniature red flash light, and a small cast heart shape that Lisanne gave me before I left, and a key ring with keys to my room, the office, my wall locker, and the transformer vault (with my tool ID tag from McDonnell Douglas attached as a bonus).

Things in my front right pocket: Nothing. The holster blocks access.

Things on my nightstand: 11 paperback books in a cardboard box turned sideways like a shelf, 2 Readers Digest (“America in your pocket!”), a Canadian Geographic magazine, five 9mm bullets, an alarm clock, 2 cans of diet coke, the cut off bottom-third of an empty plastic water bottle that I use as a change cup, pictures of my family, and my running rock.

Things I need to do today: Get a haircut, rewrite the order directing Corps to facilitate providing network connectivity to a unit in Basra, counsel Staff Seargent M----, and come up with a technical solution to broadcast CNN-World over SIPRNet.

(editors note: Things I actually got done that were on this list: Counsel SSgt M----.)

Things on my desk at work: 3 phones, 2 computer monitors, a half cup of yesterday’s coffee, a small plastic squeeze bottle of rifle lubricant, a mouse pad with a picture Anais drew on it, my Management Decision Support System (a magic eight ball Jack made), a ceramic fairy Jack sent, a picture of Lisanne, a rock with lips painted on it, copies of two Memoranda of Understanding, and 4 or 5 piles of papers on issues that I swear I’ll get to today.

Last time I skipped a rock: Camping with Jack two weeks before I left. Also the last time I caught tadpoles and had a pillow fight.

Things in the truck: A plastic water bottle, an aerial photo of the area (for when I get lost), a florescent orange cloth recognition panel (folded), and one leather glove (Iknow the other one will show up…)

Last movie I saw: Man on Fire, last night at the club. Good movie.

Radio station presets: BBC (the other four buttons aren’t set)

Books I am Reading: Sharpe’s Trafalgar, The Logic of Subjectivity, Best Science Fiction of 1986 (I find that hard to believe), and The Roots of Victory: Soviet Operational Art on the Eastern Front

Last meal: Ham, cheese, and tomato omelet made with egg whites, English muffin with peanut butter, and too-strong coffee (while watching CNN at the chow hall).

Last workout: Ran up and back down Commo Hill twice yesterday.

Temperature during last workout:109 degrees F. (I took my Camelbak).

Last time I had chicken and/or rice: yesterday (twice). That makes approximately 90-odd times since I have been here, for those of you counting.

Last time I had French Fries: Cannot remember. May or April?

Last time I had my heart broken: 10:50 am, May 10th, 2006

3 Comments:

Blogger KAB said...

How often do you use Jack's magic eightball for decision making?

Also, I HATE running uphill, how can you do it at 109 degrees?

July 19, 2006 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only use the NDSS for really important decision. You don't want to become reliant upon it.


I run up the hill in 109 degrees because it's a challenge, and if I don't have a goal I won't usually PT. Also, the view of the base and Baghdad is great.

July 20, 2006 1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart broke that day too. It felt like the worst thing ever. I hate knowing now how the heart break of that day would pale in comparison to the heart breaks since September 2009. I miss you so much, Babe!

October 24, 2013 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home