Saturday, July 01, 2006

Helo ride back from the IZ

Yeah, they shot at the helo. I could see the tracers as we banked (I was falling out of my seat at the time, held in only by the damn harness which was chafing my neck). We immediately went dark and both door gunners opened up for a long, long time. We went down to the deck (that is, flying nape of the earth) and the pilot had to reach back and tap the one gunner to get him to stop. They were just hosing the place. I don't think we were hit, but it was scary afterwards.

Baghdad is a modern city, sort of. Not many high rise buildings, but large parts are prosperous middle class with lawns and a couple of SUVs in the drive. Saw a couple of guys in black uniforms on one roof going in - they were probably the assholes shooting at us as we left. Well, I guess not, since it was three days later. But just seeing those guys gave me the creeps.

4 Comments:

Blogger KAB said...

I bet those door guns are LOUD - save that shell casing the gunner gave you.

July 01, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger KAB said...

Do the Iraqis have any forces that use black uniforms? I thought the Muj were fond of dressing like Iraqi and US troops. It seems like those guys would stick out a bit.

July 01, 2006 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nightmare or Apocalypse Now... I guess you won't forget to wear your harness when you're in the helo...

July 01, 2006 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The door guns really arent't as load as you'd think becasue they are competing against the noise of the engines and rotors (which is LOUD). I don't know about the Black uniforms for sure - I do know that the Madhai Army (sp?) in Baghdad likes black.

I have the casing, but will have to leave it here. It's considered a "war souviner" and we can't bring them home.

July 02, 2006 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home