Wednesday, September 27, 2006

For Anais

You gave me lyrics to a song to let me know how you feel. In return, I am sending you this poem…

I’d like to sing someone to sleep (you),
By someone sit, and be still.
I’d like to rock you and murmur a song
Be with you on the fringes of sleep
Be the one and only awake in the house
Who would know that the night is cold.
I’d like to listen both inside and out,
Into you, and the world, and the woods.
The clocks call out with their toiling bells,
And you can see to the bottom of time.
Down in the street a stranger goes by
And bothers a passing dog.
Behind comes silence, I’ve laid my eyes
On you like an open hand,
And they hold you lightly and let you go,
When something moves in the night.

To be said while falling asleep - Rilke

I remember watching you while you slept as a child, protecting you from the night’s dangers. I was your hero and you were my princess. You are still my princess, Anais.

Sweet dreams,

Dad

1 Comments:

Blogger KAB said...

That's a great poem and I think anyone with a child will appreciate it. I love to watch Natalie in the morning when she's sleeping and wake her up with kisses. (though, I don't think anyone would want to hear me murmur a song,even a loving daughter)

September 27, 2006 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home