Sunday, December 17, 2006

Silly String

I received one of those packages addressed to any soldier the other day. It had the usual tooth paste and shaving cream and a couple of canned snacks, but also a spray can of Silly String. You know, the kind kids get in trouble for taking to school?

At first I was amused that someone would think that someone would think we’d have a use for such a frivolous item. Then one of the 2-149th guys told me that when they are on patrol and have to go into a darkened room, they spray Silly String across the room to check for trip wires. As it falls to the ground it will drape itself over any wires that might be there; if the whole line of string falls to the ground, it’s safe.

I gave him the can.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooookay. You just cleared up a MAJOR controversy over here Mark. There are a couple of angels (Soldiers Angels) who had this posted at their sites but were questioning the validity of it... were even wondering if Snopes.com had any mention of it. So now we know - they really DO use it. Pretty darned smart if you ask me.

If you hear of a genuine "need" for the stuff, could you let me know? I'll pass it on to the SA gals!

... I hear a clock ticking... *wink*

December 18, 2006 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh!! Don't take my letters as authoritative for anything other than what I have actually seen - I just thought it an amusing story. Not sure what Snopes.com is, but I know the 2-149th guys have at least one can in their arsenal.

December 19, 2006 5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home