Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Leave

Already it’s almost time to go back and it’s gone by in the blink of an eye. Literally in a blink. The first day I was back the kids were both supposed to stay home from school, but I guess we forgot to tell Anais and so she got up at the regular time, had breakfast, and caught the school bus before Lisanne or I even woke up. It was almost ten-thirty before we realized that she wasn’t just sleeping in!!! We all got a laugh out of that, because I am sure Anais would have taken advantage of an extra day off from school (we made it up to her later).

My little girl is so grown up now. She took me out for coffee downtown, and shopping, and to Fitz’s Root Beer Factory on the Loop and we had a great time. We walked through the Delmar neighborhood and talked about things and she tried on some skirts but didn’t buy anything. It may be the only time that I have spent more on clothing than she did.



Jack and I built a pulse jet engine together. No, Mom, we didn’t blow up the garage this time - but it was touch and go for a while before I realized it wasn’t such a good idea to refuel the contraption while it was pulsing. We also put together a hand-held metal detector from a kit, and we have to finish up his pinewood derby racer today for scouts before I leave.



Lisanne has been great. She knows I don’t like parties, and especially parties for me, so she causally let it slip one day that a few folks might stop by on Friday night. Like an open house – nothing big. Three hundred dollars worth of food and fifty house guests later I realized that I was the only one who didn’t think this event was a party. But I had a great time, and even met some new people. We also went out to dinner and a movie, and I am now banned from picking which movie we see until 2019. At least this one wasn’t as much of a downer as The Downfall, so I must be getting better. I have missed being with her so much…

Three more days until I go back. I try not to think about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger KAB said...

Anais does look all grown up - it seems like just last year that she had these huge baby cheeks and loved to play with her stuffed animals.

February 01, 2007 8:53 AM  
Blogger KAB said...

Jack's cars look very fast, though I still think you should have strapped the jet engine onto one of them - why waste all your R&D.

February 01, 2007 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you think that little white thing is on top of the red car? And if you press the spare wheel on the back trunk you get the sound of a race car.

February 02, 2007 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home