Thursday, March 15, 2007

Gunship kill zone

What a weird feeling. When gunships circle a target, their flight path forms the circumference of what is known on the ground as the kill zone. This morning for the first time, I found myself inside a gunship kill zone. Although I wasn’t technically in an area they were going to fire into - at least I hope I wasn’t - there was still that instant where I realized how utterly helpless I was. An ominous dread washed over me as I recalled seeing videos of those Gatling guns opening up, literally plowing the ground with lead.

I’d only felt that way once before, after stepping out of the helo at Taji when I noticed smoke plumes on all four sides. As if we were surrounded.

2 Comments:

Blogger KAB said...

Were they circling over the base or in the city somewhere? If you see those suckers circling overhead, I would advise leaving the area or finding a bunker.

March 16, 2007 3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They were circling over a part of the city, but it was so close that their path brought them over the FOB.

March 17, 2007 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home